Saturday, March 17, 2012

Gluten Free Pasta Class with Jeff Larsen

Jeff taking the gluten free bread from the pan after his earlier GF bread class
Two of our GFCF support group members and I took a road trip recently to San Francisco for a gluten free pasta class by Jeff Larsen. We had an awesome time and were able to not only learn to make and taste great gluten free pasta, but we were treated to samples of warm bread from the previous bread making class. He offered soy free Earth Balance spread, Earth Balance coconut spread and some yummy jams to spread on our delicious GF bread. It was amazing. The bread had a wonderful texture and aroma. I'm definitely going back for the bread making class.

Mixing the pasta dough
Jeff took us step by step through the pasta making process making it seem easy and effortless. I had no doubt after the lesson that this was something I could do at home.
The pasta dough ready to roll out

Rolling the pasta dough
I love this rolling pin (above) with thickness gauge bans (see the red band under his right hand). It allows you to control the thickness of the pasta. I bought this same rolling bin and gauge bands from Sur la Table in Westfield Mall, San Francisco. It is very affordable.


Adding the yummy butternut squash filling
Jeff made several varieties of pasta. He started out with butternut squash stuffed ravioli's. I have to admit that homemade, gluten free ravioli's excite me the most. I have not enjoyed homemade ravioli in over ten years. He also made fettuccine and showed us how to do lasagna noodles. I can't wait to try the homemade lasagna noodles. I think it will take my GFCF lasagna to a whole new level.

Cutting the ravioli
I love this little round ravioli cutter (above). I bought one while at Sur la Table. You can just cut the ravioli square if you don't want to buy the cutter.

Jeff demonstrating the pasta roller
Although a pasta roller is not necessary to make pasta, Jeff did demonstrate how to use one while making the fettuccine.
Cutting the fettuccine

Rolling out the fettuccine

The finished fettuccine

GF pasta with dairy free buttery, herbed lemon sauce. Yum!
Jeff's pasta was amazing. The structure was good. It was firm and not gummy. I would have never guessed it was gluten free. This pasta class has opened up a whole new world for me. I'm excited about the prospect of homemade pasta and of Jeff's next class. He offers gluten free bread, pasta and pizza classes. He also features a vegan, GF bread class called, Daily Bread Making. I am hoping he can make it out to the east bay area soon.

A few of our group members and I with Jeff Larsen

No comments:

Post a Comment