Thursday, November 3, 2011

GF Apple Cider Donuts

I grew up in Michigan where apple orchards are abundant. Going to apple cider mills every fall and enjoying fresh steaming hot apple cider donuts right out of the fryer and pressed apple cider is a way of life for "Michiganders." I always loved the fall season. In Michigan, the leaf color change is amazing.

The beautiful colors coupled with the seasonal fall flavors, apple and cinnamon, is intoxicating. It's one of the things I really miss about Michigan (besides my family, of course). A couple years ago I discovered Applehill in Placerville which is a lovely fall getaway but darn those apple cider donuts, they have gluten in them. I did indulge this fall and had a couple of donuts. They were delicious but boy did I pay the price. My whole right side seized up. I had cramping, stomach issues and depression for days afterwards. I'm not saying I wouldn't do it again. :) Those donuts are worth it but it did inspire me to find a possible alternative. This recipe below I found in Special Diets for Special Kids Two by Lisa Lewis, Ph.D. I modified it slightly and tried to make it vegan by substituting the egg with Ener-G egg replacer, applesauce and ground chia seed (because I can't do flax). The donuts came out flat with each egg substitute. Finally I settled for duck egg which we seem to be able to tolerate (I use them only in baking). The donuts turned out perfect. Even though I baked them, they still had a bit of a crunch to them right out of the oven so it seemed as though they had been fried (but without all the grease). I'm going to keep working on this recipe. If you have any suggestions for replacing egg in a donut, please feel free to post them. I am determined to make these vegan.

The GF flour I used is Authentic Foods, Bette's Gourmet Featherlight Rice Flour Blend. I bought it on Amazon.com.


The duck egg (purchased at Ranch 99)

It looks like a normal chicken egg.

I used coconut palm sugar instead of regular sugar. It has a low glycemic index.

Sammy stirring the dry ingredients.

Oiling the donut mold pan.

I piped the donut batter with a pastry bag which made it extremely easy.

The mini donuts.

The big donuts

The taste test. Yummy and gluten free!

Gluten Free Apple Cider Donuts by Lisa Lewis
(modified slightly by me)

3 tablespoons sugar (I used coconut palm sugar)
2 cups Bette featherlite flour (or other GF flour combo)
1-1/2 teaspoon baking powder (I used aluminum free)
1-1/2 teas. baking soda
1/2 teas. salt
1 teas. cinnamon
pinch of freshly grated nutmeg
1/3 cup organic brown sugar
1/3 cup organic apple butter
1/3 cups pure maple syrup (grade B)
1/3 cup organic apple cider
1/3 cup milk substitute, soured with 1/2 teas cider vinegar
3 tablespoon safflower oil

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
Coat depressions of donut pan with oil (I used safflower).
Mix the dry ingredients together throughly and set aside.
In another bowl, whisk together egg, brown sugar, apple butter, maple syrup, cider, sour milk alternative and oil. Add dry ingredients and stir until just moistened. Put the batter into the piping bag and snip the end being careful to not let the batter ooze out. Squeeze batter into mold and then bake 10-12 minutes until the donuts spring back when lightly touched. You can brush with melted Earth Balance and then dip into cinnamon sugar, if you'd like. We eat ours plain to avoid the extra sugar.

No comments:

Post a Comment