Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Pumpkin Pecan Bars

I love having this recipe for last minute, unexpected potluck dinners and parties in the fall and early winter. Back in my "gluten eating days," I made this for many parties with great success. People love it. I made it tonight for the first time, gluten free and vegan. It was a success. The texture was definitely different but the taste was still the same and, if you'd never had the gluten version, you would have never known the difference.

Pumpkin Pecan Dessert Bars - Gluten Free and Vegan (can be made without nuts)

One box gluten free yellow cake mix (I prefer Pamela's brand but did use Betty Crocker this time)


One large jar (approx. 14 oz.), pumpkin butter (I buy Muirhead Pumpkin Pecan Butter from Williams-Sonoma but you could use any pumpkin butter, especially if you want to omit the nuts)


Ener-G egg replacer (enough to substitute 3 eggs)
    I used almond milk to replace the water for the egg substitute recipe and I beat the egg replacer mixture until it was frothy with my Aerolatte milk frother. You could also use a hand blender. The eggs will be used separately throughout the recipes so prepare them accordingly.


Aerolatte milk frother

Beat the egg mixtures until very frothy and then beat a little bit more.


1 TBL of GF flour (I used Bob's Red Mill gluten free all-purpose blend)
1/4 cup of sugar (I used organic coconut palm sugar which is low on the glycemic index)
3/4 cup Earth Balance
3 TBL of non-dairy milk (I used organic almond milk)
1 teaspoon of cinnamon

Reserve one cup of the cake mix and set aside.
Mix remaining cake mix with 1/2 cup of melted Earth Balance and 1 egg substitute mixture.
Press mixture lightly into the bottom of a 8x8 pan.
Mix pumpkin butter with 2 egg substitute mixtures and the non-dairy milk.
Pour over the cake mixture in the pan. Spread evenly.
Mix to a crumble, the reserved cake mix with GF flour, sugar, 1/4 cup soft Earth Balance (not melted) and cinnamon.
Crumble over the pumpkin butter mixture.
Bake 40 minutes at 350 degrees or until golden. Cut and serve after it has cooled.

GFCF Pumpkin Pecan Bars

Yummy!


No comments:

Post a Comment