Sunday, November 13, 2011

Product Review - Quinoa/Rice Stuffing

I've noticed several new gluten free products at Williams-Sonoma (WS) lately. Having worked in the Housewares industry for over 8 years, I've always loved this store. It's really too bad that most of the gluten free products they carry, have dairy in them. This includes the French Laundry Chef's new flour mix, C4C, that WS stores are now carrying.

This past weekend, I was able to try out one of their non-dairy, gluten free products for an early Thanksgiving meal with extended family. Along with my cranberry brussel sprouts and butternut squash kale, I brought Williams-Sonoma Herbed Quinoa and Red Rice Stuffing.




The ingredient are free of gluten but it is not a certified gluten free food since it is processed on equipment that prepares and packages gluten/wheat along with many other common allergens including nuts, milk, egg and soy. Nonetheless, I decided to try it out. It was fairly easy to make. The directions called for a diced onion and chopped celery. I used a bag of pre-chopped onion from Sprout's Farmer's Market (in the freezer section) just to save a little time. The directions also called for butter so I used Earth Balance instead.

The box came with a seasoning packet which includes sage, thyme, garlic and marjoram. Needless to say, the dish had a wonderful aroma. Everyone at the table gave it a "thumbs up" but I'm not sure if they were just being nice. I liked it but I eat quinoa all the time. It's high in protein. What I like most about this dish, is that there is nothing on the ingredient list I can't pronounce or identify.

Ingredients:
Quinoa
Red Rice
Dried Cranberries (cranberries, sugar and sunflower)
Garlic
Kosher Salt
Dalmatian Sage
French Thyme
Black Pepper
Mediterranean Marjoram

I think I will make this again for my immediate family's upcoming meal. This time, I think I'll add toasted pecans. I do believe that you could easily add leftover shredded turkey and some veggies (maybe leftover brussel sprouts) and you would have a wonderful quinoa salad for lunch made from leftovers!

Stuffing Cost: $14.95 a box with a small discount for purchasing two at one time.

Proceed with caution unless you're a quinoa lover. I"m sorry I did not think to photograph the final dish since I was in a hurry that day. I'll have to admit, it was not the most attractive dish at the buffet but it is packed with nutrition!

Have a wonderful gluten and dairy free Thanksgiving!

No comments:

Post a Comment